Thursday, March 31, 2011
March UFO completed
I finished this UFO last night - well technically this morning - the last day of March! The challenge was to finish the top, but when I started out, I had no idea it was going to look like this. The pieces were originally going to be part of a different top that was from an online mystery quilt project. I took all of my one inch strips and a few 1 1/4 inch strips and sewed them together into long strips of four strips each. Then the next step, which I undid (I hadn't got too far with it), was to join the strips with the same amount of solid fabric and cut them into squares with the strippy strip on the diagonal. I had done this with one set of strips and stopped there because I didn't like the way it looked. Then it sat in the UFO box for a few years. I decided to make a hidden wells pattern out of it. I've made a couple of hidden wells quilts from the Mary Ellen Hopkins instruction sheet, and it's a great pattern. But this one was a real challenge. It was much harder than I anticipated. I worked on it almost daily for a couple of hours each time.