Sunday, August 2, 2015
I don't know how I got it in my head that I should add six stitches to each side for every round of double crochet and four for every round of single crochet. It's more like four for a round of double and two for a round of single. I made a sample swatch with different stitches, measured, did the math, and figured out that all my edges were wavy and all my corners were sharp points because I was adding too many stitches.
In this picture, left to right and top to bottom, are cosmos, carrots, poppy and daisy. The first three have been reworked. I have total of nine more squares to rework. It doesn't take long. The problem was only with the outer rounds that I added on to the squares to make them bigger. The directions in the book (Granny Square Flowers) don't produce wavy results, but I wanted 6 1/2 inch squares, so I've had to extend most of them, and that's where I went wrong.