Sunday, May 8, 2011

May works in progress

This is my May UFO challenge. I want to machine quilt it with traditional motifs - wreaths, hearts, etc. But first I have to practice on some others, and also practice free motion quilting in the ditch on a Roman Square quilt. Next is my first practice quilt. The colorful interior diamonds are experimental
"quick pieced" kaleidoscope blocks from a while back. The quilt is sandwiched and ready to machine quilt. The 1/4 inch tape was a bad idea because it made the needle sticky and caused it to skip stitches. I quilted heart motifs on the colorful squares first, to practice before I quilted the pale pink diamonds. It definitely gets easier with practice.
This will be a doll quilt made of scraps from the dual trip around the world quilts that I used to publish my method. I am going to use it to practice machine quilting animal shapes.
Here's a very old picture of a somewhat young (also quite pregnant) me with one year's raffle quilt from my old quilt guild. I would love to take the full credit for this beautiful quilt, but I cannot. It was a group project, and I didn't even choose the pattern. But I was the main leader of the project, and this picture was taken after I finished putting the binding on it. I made the large block on the right side, second from the top - a carpenter's wheel. But first I practiced on another block, which is in the May UFO. The smaller blocks with triangles were made with leftovers from this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment