Friday, January 28, 2011

Cindy's Sampler Quilt

Earlier this month I requilted Cindy's baby quilt. This entry is a picture of the previous quilt I made for her. It was a few years in the making. I finished it completely last summer during some free time in which I finished several UFOs. From top to bottom, left to right, the blocks are: 1. Reversed Squares, using a quick piecing technique I thought up. 2. Scraps from a project at my old guild, the Herring Run Quilters' Guild in Hanover, Massachusetts. 3. Scraps from a pillow I made for my mother-in-law. 4. Blue Penrose tiles, given a pink Penrose tile setting (because it is the pink part of the quilt). 5. A big Penrose tiling. 6. My favorite block - a one patch of second generation leftovers from a watercolor quilt. 7. A block exchange with a woman from France, who solicited blocks in Quilters' Newsletter magazine. 8 & 9. Same as 2. 10. Hmong squares and nine-patches that were part of a guild exchange. 11. Butterfly batiks (Cindy's favorite block). 12. Five Penrose tiles. 13. A copy of the block I traded with the French woman. 14. A sawtooth star experiment. 15. Another Penrose tiling. 16. Copy of a guild raffle block - everyone would bring in a block, and one lucky person would take them all home. I wanted a copy in case I didn't win. Which I didn't, that time!
My girls took turns going through my block stash, choosing their favorites, and this was the collection that Cindy chose.
Posted by Picasa


  1. Very nice!! Doesn't it feel good to finish something!

  2. I'm repeating my comment because I posted it but then as I pressed the "Post Comment" button my computer went hinky. Since I didn't see it on the blog I'm reposting. Sorry if two pop up.
    Here goes...
    Your guilt is very lovely. I like it alot. It sure does feel good to complete a project.

  3. I remember now when I made this quilt - it was when Cindy was five years old, in 2003. I was a member of the Quinobequin Quilters' Guild, and we had a show. This quilt was in the show - just barely completed. The binding was tacked down with a running stitch, and I had machine stippled the borders but had not quilted most of the blocks. So seven years later, I finished quilting it. I was way too busy for my own good in 2003, but that is a story for another day.