Tuesday, February 1, 2011

February's UFO pick

No picture of this quilt, but here's some history. This is a relatively easy project, so a picture will be forthcoming shortly, I hope!

In the late 1980s and early 1990s (and to this day), I was a big fan of the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator system, as described by David Keirsey in his book "Please Understand Me" (I am an INTJ). It was a wonderful tool that helped me fit myself better into the world of other people. After reading, studying and discussing this tool with my friends, I found out it was based on the work of the pioneering psychologist Carl Jung. One evening, I casually leafed through a copy of the Portable Jung at a party, and I was hooked. Absolutely hooked. I began to read Jung and the contemporary psychologist James Hillman, and I decided to apply to Pacifica Graduate Institute to study Jungian psychology. In that whirlwind spring of 1993, I heard James Hillman give a wonderful talk called "Alchemical Blue, a Mood of the Mind." At my interview for admission, I was told that there would be one class in the graduate program for which there would be an art project. Of course a quilt sprang into my mind, fully formed, on the drive back from the interview. The name of the quilt is Alchemical Blue.

"Finishing" this quilt has been on my list of things to do for a long, long time, even though I have hung this quilt in four different shows over the years. Now that it is a reality, it seems like a strange task.

That big awful midwest storm is headed towards New England, and will probably fell many trees and power lines tomorrow. Then I might need something to do by hand - removing the old binding and cutting bias strips for the new binding would fit the bill. So today I will work on other projects while I can still run the sewing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment